The Burroughs Years – An Appreciation
by Heather Cline Hoganson
Change sometimes happens so slowly that it is not until something comes to an end that it can be fully appreciated. As Mary Burroughs ends her tenure at the SCBA’s Executive Director, it is time to appreciate how the SCBA has changed during her tenure.
Mary undertook Executive Director duties in February 2013, but she was no stranger to the SCBA, having been the graphics editor of this fine publication for years. Coming in with knowledge of the SCBA’s many activities, Mary hit the ground running. She transformed a nascent monthly calendar email into the weekly e-newsletter, which provides members up-to-date information on events. She also integrated the advertising from the magazine to be an adjunct to first the e-newsletter, and then onto other publications (such as the Directory and the Centennial Book). Upgrades were also made to the SCBA website, with online payments for events enabling attorneys to reserve their spots quickly and easily. Social media has grown since 2013. Mary has helped the SCBA keep up, instituting Facebook and LinkedIn presences.
Behind the scenes, Mary switched the SCBA to a new software system that more accurately tracks membership. This enabled the SCBA to maintain the 100% firm category that has grown year after year. The SCBA office square footage expanded immensely with a move in early 2016 to the current location on University Avenue. The move allowed for the creation of an event center that now hosts multiple events every week – including SCBA and Foundation Board of Directors meetings, breakfasts with the judges series, section luncheons, and evening mixers.
Awards are blooming! In addition to giving awards, such as the newer Pro Bono Award, the SCBA has won awards, such as the State Bar Diversity Award (2015), and sections and members have been recognized locally and nationally for contributions to the law. Mary’s work on the SCBA Delegation’s hospitality suite continued SCBA’s top-ranked tradition.
On the section side, the SCBA expanded its former short orientation every January to a full Leadership Institute in 2015, with its own MCLE. The large number of section charters crafted over the years were simplified into a single Uniform Section Bylaws for the SCBA, making new section creation easy (such as Construction and Criminal Law in 2016 and Cannabis in 2018). Other bylaws were also brought up-to-date with the growing SCBA and the changes technology introduced. As new divisions were created (Solo/Small Practice in 2015, and Movers and Shakers in 2016) and solidified (Barristers), a set of Uniform Division Bylaws was also adopted in 2019.
Mary’s ability to “make it happen” has shown through in renewed Golf Tournaments, mentorship programs, membership mixers, Lawyer Referral and Information Service, and Fee Arbitration programs. Mary’s hand in one-off events created singular sensations, such as Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye’s Investiture (2011), the District Attorney Candidates Forum (2014), an Evening with the Mayor (2017), and the Centennial Luncheon with Justice Anthony Kennedy (2018).
In 2016, new affiliates (California Lawyers for the Arts) and associate affiliates (Sacramento Legal Secretaries Association and Sacramento Valley Paralegal Association) joined the SCBA. New committees (Ethics, Human Rights) have been created within the SCBA. Kids Law Day was instituted in 2017, with a generous grant from the Foundation added in 2018.
In concert with a number of past presidents, a new path forward was forged between the SCBA and the Sacramento County Bar Foundation (aka Law Foundation), with Mary as the Executive Director of both organizations. This allowed for an easier transition of Foundation board members, created a repository for institutional Foundation knowledge, and set the stage for the Foundation’s Centennial Fellows program, which celebrated the pillars of our legal community. Mary’s hand in shepherding programs on behalf of the SCBA and Foundation boards has set a solid footing on which future leaders can stand.
Given the recent recollections of the past 100 years, the past seven have certainly been a whirlwind, and the SCBA thanks Mary Burroughs for all her hard work!
Legend of “Happy Faces” on the Cover
1. Mary tending the SCBA beer and wine bar 2018
2. Judge Maryanne Gilliard and Justice Andrea Hoch with Mary 2013
3. Mary giving the 100th Year Birthday Toast 2018
4. Judge Emily Vasquez, Luis Cespedes, Judge David DeAlba with Mary 2018
5. Judges Stacy Boulware Eurie and Laurie Earl with Mary 2013
6. Mary and Betsy Kimball 2014
7. Jill Telfer and Mary 2018
8. Mary with Judge David Abbott and retired Justice Art Scotland (tending bar) 2015
9. BJ Susich and Mary 2014
10. Jason Jasmine and Mary 2015
11. Judge Robert Hight (ret.) and Mary 2015
12. Vicki Jacobs and Mary 2018
13. Mary with the 2018 SCBA Diversity Summer Fellows
14. Judge Kimberly Mueller, Mary, and Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye 2017
15. Mayor Darrell Steinberg and Beth Ruyak with Mary 2017
16. Jack Vetter, Mark Velasquez, and Mary 2014
17. Natalie Fujikawa, Ken Bacon, Mary, and Pam Jones 2014
18. Judges Troy Nunley, John Mendez, and Morrison England with Mary 2018
19. Mary and Sean McCoy 2019
20. Mary and Ed Brooks 2018
21. Mary, Meredith Garey, and Shanae Buffington 2014
22. Sil Reggiardo and Mary at the SCBA 100th Birthday Party 2018
23. Sabrina Thomas and Mary 2017 Kings Center Court
24. Justice Vance Raye and Mary 2016
25. Mary and Justice Art Scotland (ret.) 2018
26. Mary giving SCBA Board Election Results 2017
27. Steve Duvernay and Mary 2018